This walking tour takes you to the most unspoilt remote villages in the lower Himalayan region, enabling you to experience rural India from close quarters. Charmingly, you stay in a traditional village house which is stunningly located and has been touched up (and added on with attached bathrooms) to provide very comfortable lodging without compromising on the authenticity or environment.
You will be accompanied by a guide who will share the local knowledge and assist you in mingling with the communities - share a cup of chai with the locals, pay obeisance at a village temple or just soak in the scenery.
Small mammals (Ghoral, Serow, Sambhar, Muntjac, etc) and a large variety of birds abound in the luscious green hillsides and throughout the valleys.
- Tour Cost on Twin-share: US$ 1350 PER PERSON
- Tour Type: GUIDED WITH SUPPORT VEHICLE
- Walking: 6 DAYS, AVERAGE 3-4 HOURS
- Tour Start / End: NEW DELHI
- Departure Dates: Daily in JAN, FEB, MAR, APR, SEP, OCT, NOV, DEC (Supplement applicable on tours between Dec 20 and Jan 10)
- Group Size: 2 TO 4 PEOPLE
- Given Below: THE ITINERARY , INCLUSIONS / EXCLUSIONS , HOTEL DETAILS , TRIP NOTES
DELHI - BHIMTAL - THIKALNA - CHALNICHINNA - DELHIRequest Detailed Package
Day 1: Delhi - Kathgodam - Bhimtal
Early morning transfer to the rail station for train to Kathgodam. You will be met at Kathgodam Railway Station and driven to Bhimtal. After lunch we will walk up to nearby hill tops with stunning views. We will continue on a mountain track that takes one all the way to Sattal Lake. Walking 1-2 hours
Day 2: Bhimtal - Almora - Thikalna
Drive 2.5 hours to Almora town situated at an altitude of 1650 metres. Spend some time at the charming bazaar here. We will continue to our next destination, the charming Chitai Temple, ending the day at Thikalna. Walking 2-3 hours
Day 3: Thikalna
Walk downhill through a small trail full of Rhododendron trees and then continue walking on the trail to Dhaulchina. From Dhaulchina you will walk downhill through pine forest to Kachula and then continue Barechina. After picnic lunch, we will return to the house. Walking 4-5 hours.
Day 4: Thikalna - Chalnichina
Walk along the ridge towards Bridh Jageshwar temple complex (2229mts) with beautiful views of the Nanda Devi range on your left. From here a two- hour uphill trek will bring you to Itmenaan Estate in Chhalnichina village. (Walking 3-4 hours)
Day 5: Chalnichinna
This morning walk to the Chalnichinna village market, spend some time interacting with local people and continue to the Ghantika Temple at the top of a hill. Afterwards, we start a downhill walk to the lovely Himalayan Village of Naugaon. (Walking 3-4 hrs)
Day 6: ChalnichinnaAnother day to enjoy a short walk or a long trek as per your interest. The estate and the neighbouring countryside itself can be explored in a walking tour. There are many walking trails in and around the estate and the staff will be happy to customise the walk for you. (Walking 3-4 hrs)
Day 7: Chalnichinna - Kathgodam - Delhi
After a leisurely breakfast you will walk 20 minutes to the road-head where our car would meet to take you to Kathgodam Rail Station (3.5 hours) for boarding your train to Delhi. On arrival in Delhi, you will be received and taken to your destination.
We will be pleased to make additional arrangements and suggest things to see and places to stay should you wish to extend your stay in India. This could be a culture tour as well. Ask us for optional add-on tours by writing to us here: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Accommodation on twin-share basis
- 7 Breakfasts, 6 Lunches, 7 Dinners
- Arrival and departure transfers with our representative
- All transport arrangements as per itinerary
- A walk guide for walks as per itinerary
- Train tickets for Delhi – Kathgodam - Delhi in air-conditioned chair car class
- On walking days following items will be available with our guide: bottled water, adjustable walking sticks, first-aid kit, hand sanitizer, tissues, fruits and snacks
- All currently applicable taxes
- Items of personal nature like tips, laundry, telephone calls, drinks, etc
- Any other meals than those mentioned above
- International airfare
- Any insurance coverage
- Airport or VISA fee
- Camera charges at monuments
- Any extra expenses incurred for reasons beyond our control such as emergency evacuation, natural calamity, etc
- Any other item not specifically mentioned above as INCLUDED
- A SUPPLEMENT, AS CHARGED BY HOTELS, WILL BE APPLICABLE ON TOURS BETWEEN DEC 20 TO JAN 10
- ABOVE PRICES ARE VALID TILL APRIL 30, 2023
Bhimtal: Fredy's Bungalow
A short uphill drive from Bhimtal Lake, leads you to Fredy's Bungalow. The imposing colonial-style homestead nestles among cypress and deodar trees, on a peaceful wooded hillside, overlooking the Bhimtal valley and the mountain slopes beyond.Hotel Website...
Thikalna : Thikalna Village House
Thikalna is a traditional Kumaoni village house that has been carefully renovated without compromising the architecture or the sensitivity of its surroundings. There is no electricity here and lanterns are provided after dark.
ChalniChinna: Itmenaan Estate
The 10-acre Itmenaan Estate is a fairytale getaway in a peaceful rural setting in the Kumaon Himalayas. The estate offers panoramic views of the Himalayas including the majestic Nanda Devi.
- The best time to walk-trek in this region is between January to mid-April and mid-September to December. Jan/Feb/Mar/Dec are cold but the mountain views are at their best. April is cool weather, mountain views are a bit hazy but rhododendrons are in full bloom. Sept/Oct/Nov would be cool weather and the mountain views are good. Average temperatures range from maximum of 25°C and minimum of 2°C. There is possibility of snow in end-December and early-January, and as for rains, though the rainy season is May-June-July-August, there is always possibility of unseasonal thunderstorms and showers any time of the year.
- High levels of fitness are not required to do this program. You can set your own pace making the walk 'easy' or 'moderate'. However, you need to be in general good health and used to walking
- The path will be rough at some stretches and hence we advise sturdy shoes/boots with excellent soles
- Your luggage will be transported in the support vehicle or carried by the porters. All you need to carry is a light backpack for your essentials.
- Children 5 years and up can do this walk. Alternatively, you may choose to hire ponies at additional cost.
- Essentials in your bag - Strong sunscreen, sunglasses, lip-balm, insect repellent, personal medication and a hat to ward off the high daytime UV. If you suffer from mountain driving sickness, please carry appropriate medication
For booking or other queries, please write to us at: email@example.com