Kumaon region, located in the Himalayas, is often referred to as the Land of Gods due to the many important pilgrimage centres found throughout the state. Magnificent views of the Himalayan peaks, amazing setting of the small villages dotted on the hillsides and charming local cultures – provide the perfect blend for a memorable Himalayan biking and hiking tour.
Right from the coquettish charms of the Rhododendrons to the sombreness of stately Deodars, the beauty of Kumaon is best explored on a bicycle or on foot. We not only show you the spectacular panorama of this land but also introduce you to it, so as to instil in you the age old conviction that great things are born when people and mountain meet.
The highlights of this biking and hiking tour are magnificent views of Himalayan peaks, walking/biking through quaint villages, valleys and forests and close interaction with friendly village folks.
- Tour Cost on Twin-share: US$ 1715 PER PERSON, OWN ROOM SURCHARGE: US$ 335
- Tour Type: GUIDED WITH SUPPORT VEHICLE
- Bike Hire: INCLUDED
- Cycling & Trekking: 5 DAYS Cycling (APPROX 200 KM), 2 DAYS Trekking (4-5 Hours Per Day)
- Tour Start / End: NEW DELHI
- Departure Dates: Daily in JAN, FEB, MAR, APR, SEP, OCT, NOV, DEC (Supplement applicable on tours between Dec 20 and Jan 10)
- Group Size: MIN 2, MAX 4
- Given Below: THE ITINERARY , INCLUSIONS / EXCLUSIONS , HOTEL DETAILS , TRIP NOTES
DELHI - BHIMTAL - MUKTESHWAR - THIKALNA - CHALNICHINNA - DELHIRequest Detailed Package
Day 1: Delhi - Kathgodam - Bhimtal
This morning we will pick you from your hotel in Delhi. You may make your own arrangements in Delhi or request us for a pre-tour package comprising of hotel accommodation, transfers and sightseeing in Delhi.
You will be taken to the rail station for train to Kathgodam. On arrival in Kathgodam you will be received and driven to Bhimtal (30 km / 1 hr) located in the foothills of Himalayas, a gateway town to higher regions of Kumaon. In the afternoon trek to Sat Tal lake and try out bicycles. (Trekking: 30 mins, Cycling: 10-15 KM)
Day 2: Bhimtal - Mukteshwar
After breakfast we cycle uphill to Naukuchiyatal, another picturesque lake town in Kumaon. We will return to Bhimtal and head to Mukteshwar. It is a gradual uphill ride through pine trees that opens up to very picturesque landscapes. Mukteshwar gets its name from 350-year-old temple of Shiva. (Cycling 40-45 KM)
Day 3: Mukteshwar - Thikalna
Day 4: Thikalna
This morning we cycle to Barechhina known for pre-historic painted rock shelters. After Barechhina, we continue to Chitai Temple which has the presiding deity Lord Shiva, who is referred here by the name Lord Golu. (Cycling 60-70 KM, Trekking 40 Minutes)
Day 5: Thikalna - Chalnichhina
Day 6: Chalnichinna
Today we hike to the Chalnichinna village market, Ghantika Temple at the top of a hill and the lovely Himalayan Village of Naugaon. Walking on narrow lanes through the village you will see people going about their daily chores. Enjoy a picnic lunch before returning.(Trekking 4-5 Hours)
Day 7: Chalnichinna
Day 8: Chalnichinna - Kathgodam - Delhi
After breakfast you will be driven back to Kathgodam train station (3.5 hours) for train back to Delhi. On arrival in Delhi you will be received at the station and taken to your destination.
Ask us for optional add-on tours by writing to us here: email@example.com . We recommened a 3-day trip to Agra and Jaipur.
- Accommodation on twin-share basis in the mentioned hotels or similar
- 8 Breakfasts, 7 Lunches, 7 Dinners
- Arrival and departure transfers with our representative
- Train tickets for Delhi – Kathgodam - Delhi in air-conditioned chair car
- All cycling arrangements: An accompanying support vehicle, An accompanying Cycling Guide, Cycles, Spares for cycles, Bottled Water during Cycling
- All walking arrangements with an expert trekking guide
- All currently applicable taxes
- Items of personal nature like tips, laundry, telephone calls, drinks, etc
- Any other meals than those mentioned above
- Internal or International airfare
- Any insurance coverage
- Airport or VISA fee
- Camera charges at monuments
- Any extra expenses incurred for reasons beyond our control such as emergency evacuation, natural calamity, etc
- Any other item not specifically mentioned above as INCLUDED
- A SUPPLEMENT, AS CHARGED BY HOTELS, WILL BE APPLICABLE ON TOURS BETWEEN DEC 20 TO JAN 10.
- THESE PRICES ARE VALID TILL APRIL 15, 2018
At Bhimtal, accommodation will be in a stunning 150 year old colonial bungalow. At Mukteshwar, you will stay in the best available resort in the region. Accommodation in Chalnichinna and Thikalna is in stunningly located traditional Kumaon village houses that have been refurbished to provide comfortable lodging without compromising the original architecture.
Bhimtal: Fredy's Bungalow
A short uphill drive from Bhimtal Lake, leads you to Fredy's Bungalow. The imposing colonial-style homestead nestles among cypress and deodar trees, on a peaceful wooded hillside, overlooking the Bhimtal valley and the mountain slopes beyond.Hotel Website...
Mukteshwar: Te Aroha
Te Aroha is a colonial-style summer house converted into a boutique luxury hotel amidst scenic surroundings. The original structure of a summer house that once stood on the property has been successfully preserved to retain its original charm.Hotel Website...
Thikalna: Thikalna Cottage
A traditional Kumaoni village house that has been carefully renovated. There is no electricity here and lanterns are provided after dark. This is a stunningly located house and comes highly recommended from all our guests. However, if you would rather not stay here due to lack of electricity, we can arrange accommodation in an alternate house with electricty.Hotel Website...
ChalniChinna: Itmenaan Estate
The 10-acre Itmenaan Estate is a fairytale getaway in a peaceful rural setting in the Kumaon Himalayas. The estate offers panoramic views of the Himalayas including the majestic Nanda Devi.Hotel Website...
- TERRAIN: Most sections of the road are asphalt surface. However, road conditions are unpredictable in this Himalayan region and could be under repair with broken asphalt. Most of the cycling route on this tour will be devoid of heavy traffic (in some sections you will not come across a vehicle for miles). What will keep you company are enchanting Himalayan views, lush green terraced fields, Oak and Rhododendron forests, small villages with little bazaars, and local people doing their daily chores.
- WEATHER: The best time to cycle in this region is between January to mid-April and mid-September to December. Jan/Feb/Mar/Dec are cold but the mountain views are at their best. April is cool weather, mountain views are a bit hazy but rhododendrons are in full bloom. Sept/Oct/Nov would be cool weather and the mountain views are good. Average temperatures range from maximum of 25°C and minimum of 2°C. May and June are hot and July and August are rainy and hence not suitable for cycling.
For booking or other queries, please write to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org